At its founding in 1979, the UMJC listed five organizational objectives:
- To further the initiation, establishment, and growth of Messianic Jewish Congregations worldwide.
- To be a voice for Messianic Jewish Congregations and Messianic Judaism worldwide.
- To provide a forum for the discussion of issues relevant to Messianic Judaism and Messianic Jewish Congregations.
- To aid in the causes of our Jewish people worldwide, especially in Israel.
- To support the training of Messianic Leaders.
We summarize these objectives in a simple statement of our mission:
Uniting and strengthening Jewish congregations that honor Yeshua the Messiah of Israel.
In pursuing this mission, and the more specific objectives and standards articulated in our by-laws, we hold to these core values
- Unity in diversity
The UMJC represents diverse congregations united in our commitment to the authority of Scripture as the Word of God, the ongoing significance of the Torah for Jewish life, and the centrality of Yeshua as Lord and Messiah. Deference and respect are key elements in our fellowship.
- Community relationships
- As a movement for Yeshua within the house of Israel, we stand in solidarity with the larger Jewish community, including the state of Israel. We are committed to the continuity of the Jewish people and to participation in our common tradition.
- As a movement for Yeshua, we also value and affirm our place within the entire community of Messiah and are committed to its genuine unity.
- Congregational success
The local congregation is foundational to Messianic Judaism. Therefore, we are committed to the success of our member congregations as places where Jewish people can encounter Yeshua as Messiah and live for him as Jews.
- Organizational integrity
We seek to develop and apply biblically rooted standards of integrity and accountability in all that we do as an organization, and to foster them in the polity of each of our member congregations.
- Dignity and inclusion
- We recognize that all people are made in the image of God and therefore will endeavor to treat them with respect.
- We warmly welcome into our midst all who embrace our vision and core values and are committed to the success of our efforts.